5BarX.com

Knee-Deep In Cow Stuff
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Occ Juneau 807J
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:42 pm 

I have been looking at the OCC Bulls and want to know what people are seeing with the Juneau 807J cattle? What type of cattle are they working well with?

www.gizmoangus.com

Post subject: Re: Occ Juneau 807J
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:22 pm 

When I talked to Koupal's Angus (I believe it was Lavern, but it has been a couple of years ago.), he stated that over half his herd would soon trace to this bull and he thought very highly of him. I purchased semen on the bull, but never got to use it because the tank went bad. :cry: His daughters are apparently very functional and fertile. I was planning on using him on Alliance 6595 daughters and am still considering repurchasing semen to use on the ones that I still have. It is just getting easier to let my bulls do their work and not worry about AI'ing as much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:56 am 
Site Admin

Name: Matt Henley
Town: Mount Gilead, NC
ron vance wrote:
It is just getting easier to let my bulls do their work and not worry about AI'ing as much.

many benefits to this choice

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Old Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:00 pm 
seasoned typist

Jacob wrote:
I have been looking at the OCC Bulls and want to know what people are seeing with the Juneau 807J cattle? What type of cattle are they working well with?

You might want to wait till they get finished testing for double muscling, there is already one OCC on the list and I heard there will probably be another.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 am 
not new

This is the list developed so far for bull that have been tested positive for Carriers of nt821 mutation for double muscling (M1C)

Bulls

AAA 11595790 Hyline Travel Agent 08/02/11
AAA 11741609 Walridge Linard 1343 08/02/11
AAA 11879002 Rito 3B17 of 0G10 Bando 08/02/11
AAA 12249849 C T R Double Take 400 08/02/11
AAA 15269775 O C C Prototype 847P 08/02/11
AAA 15456246 Exar PAF Sizzle 620 08/02/11
AAA 15535998 Vermilion X Factor 08/02/11

They must not have tested any cows yet because no data found came up in that search. The good news is from what I have heard most of the AI stud bulls have been tested and the number of carriers is very low. I don't know when we are supposed to have time to breed cattle anymore it takes so much time just to keep up with the lastest genetic defect following is the latest list provided by the Angus association:

Genetic Defects

Carriers of arthrogryposis multiplex (AMC)

Carriers of contractural arachnodactyly (CAC)

Carriers of double muscling (DMC)

Carriers of dwarfism (DWC)

Carriers of heterochromia irides (white eye) (HIC)

Carriers of neuropathic hydrocephalus (NHC)

Carriers of nt821 mutation for double muscling (M1C)

Carriers of osteopetrosis (marble-bone disease) (OSC)

Carriers of PRKG2 gene mutation for dwarfism (D2C)

Carriers of red color gene (RDC)

Carriers of syndactyly (mule foot) (SNC)

Carriers of wild-type color gene (WTC)

Just found the tested bulls and the OCC Juneau 807J bull is free of defects. I haven't found anything yet on OCC Missing Link....he isn't on the known carrier list but he isn't on the free list either. Word is another group should be posted soon, I haven't found 6807 on either list as yet, so hopefully they will show up on the free list soon.

Gizmom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:56 pm 
regular here

Gizmom, Is OCC bull another line in your program? Adapted to your environment? Why are you contemplating using? See you use bulls with minus EN? Do you give any consideration to EN? Do you think EN is reflected to any degree in bottom line? Is 80-90 yw epd new "moderate" for angus breed? How about plus 30 milk, is this moderate? Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:58 pm 
not new

Hudson,

The Occ Juneau 807J Registration #13627989 is out of OCC Emblazon 854E I don't currently have either in the genetic make up of our herd. I did see OCC Emblazon a couple of years ago and of all the bulls in AI studs that we looked at this was my pick. The 807J is a son of the bull which is why we are looking at him. I think 30 on milk in our enviornment is to high and yes we have a cow that has that number, but in her case if the number is correct it hasn't had any adverse effect on her production. I do look at EN and try to select bulls to use that have a positive EN number. I also beleive that EPD's are a tool, but just one of the tools in the tool box. I don't pick for EPD's alone, I think you have to look at the cow and what that cow is doing. The 807J bull has a 21 on Milk which would work in our enviornment, he has a positive EN of 2.31 he also has a positive scrotal. I just don't see much about this bull that I don't like. Larry Coleman out in MT has used him with alot of success, his sire 854E was a moderate bull. We don't do alot of AI but we do sample a few outside bulls, and this is one that I think could work for us.

Gizmom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:52 am 
not new

Gizmom,

If you liked 854E so much, why not just use him? With Juneau being dead, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to find Juneau for less than 854E, if that was the reasoning. There were some concerns about semen quality, but we have had success with both AI and flushing to the bull. I think you will like them.

http://www.monadnockangus.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:07 pm 
brand new

Name: Jeff Henderson
Town: Dupree
i've seen 807j daughters and emblazon daughters and the emblazons are kind of hit and miss u might get a good one but he'll throw some bad ones too, the 807j's are a bit more consistent and pack a little more growth and frame, alot of people are using him including sitz