5BarX.com

Knee-Deep In Cow Stuff
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:16 pm 
founding member

My dad owned this bull for a short time in the late 60's/early 70's. The bull died not to long after aquired. Was the foundation of a herd that was later sold. Nice phenotype cows

I was young before and at school in Europe at the time so have little details, an occasional letter. Remember dad was concerned that the calves were at best..moderate in size. Environment aside .........any thoughts on his EPD's and the breed line?

Ankonian Astronaut Reg: 3390559 Bull

Animal Information
Birth Date: 09/21/1960
Tattoo: OF20, Blood-typed

Ownership Information
Breeder: 188800 - Fuerst, Myron M, Rhinebeck, NY
Owner(s): 450869 - Premier Angus Inc, Howell, MI
461877 - Reed Crushed Stone Inc, Gilbertsville, KY

Jungle Eric of Candacraig (135003)
Paragon of Haymount (140442)
Pure Pearl of Haymount (145558)
* Ballot of Belladrum 2797832
Esperanza of Candacraig (137556)
Bedelia Maid of Belladrum (158562)
Bedraffled Maid of Newhouse (145459)

Eileenmere 999 890948
Homeplace Eileenmere 999 35 1150941
Gammer of Bates 915657
* Fuerst Eva Bandina 10 2630245
O Bardoliermere 1342368
Fuerst Eva Bandina 2266480
Evelyn Bardolier 1047001

Production Maternal
CED +8
Acc BW .14 -4.4
Acc WW .05 -13
Acc YW .05 -22
Acc YH .05 +0
Acc SC .05 +2
Acc CEM .13 -2
Acc Milk .05 5

6 +7
.05 +.1
.05 +36.39
Acc MkH
MkD MW
Acc MH
Acc $EN

.05 +0
.05 +2
.13 -2
.05 5
6 +7
.05 +.1
.05 +36.39

Carcass Ultrasound
Cwt
Acc Mrb
Acc RE
Acc Fat
Acc Grp
Prog %IMF
Acc RE
Acc Fat
Acc Grp
Prog

$Values
$W $F $G $QG $YG $B
-6.03 -49.61

Last edited by preston39 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:16 pm 
Respected Commenter in the Community

I remember the name...and RCS...but that`s all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:44 pm 
brand new

I have a ballot of belladrum grandson that we are using pretty heavily. He sires nice offspring.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:31 pm 
founding member

Can you give me an update on this grandson?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:32 pm 
founding member

mikek wrote:

===========
Does anyone know what mk was referring to with the RCS?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:28 pm 

preston39 wrote:
mikek wrote:

===========

REED CRUSHED STONE- The Kentucky owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:28 pm 

shawnandrew71 wrote:
I have a ballot of belladrum grandson that we are using pretty heavily. He sires nice offspring.

I have a 2010 model granddaughter of Ballot of Belladrum- being sired by Octoraro Ballot STO 6-- with mgs being Logan of Wye UMF 6692... I bought her last fall from Taylor and she looks like she has the potential of making an alright cow.. #16769947...

She went thru the winter from Hell about the same as the rest of my heifers (altho the OCC breeding daughters I had seemed to stand out and hold condition the best)... As soon as the snow started disappearing and I could put them back onto grass- she really went out and rustled on her own- picked up and I saw her cycling early...

I bought her not only because she fit my low birthweight, moderate EPD criteria - but also because the pedigree kind of intriqued me- not only the old Ballot bull- but STO 6 being a grandson of Rito 054- with the heifer tracing back to Shoshone Viking GD60 and some older Cole Creek/Juanada lineage...

She definitely has it in her blood to become a decent cow- and only time will tell...

A wingnut is someone on the far-right wing or far-left wing of the political spectrum - the unhinged activists and the paranoid conspiracy theorists. They're the people who always try to divide rather than unite us.
~ John Avlon

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:39 pm 
founding member

wye&s guy wrote:
preston39 wrote:
mikek wrote:

===========

REED CRUSHED STONE- The Kentucky owner

=
Geesh...I should have been able to connect those dots. Since mk is notorious for dangling participles.....I didn't give it a second thought. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
seasoned typist

Foxx had a Ballot son last year, maybe you could PM her and ask how he did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 am 
founding member

We did. He was out of an EXT daughter. (#16444194) We sent him off (a little late) to be raised by a feedlot and to get some gain on him. When my husband saw him, he said, "I like this bull. I think we should use more of this semen."

This bull sold to someone here in CA. He was smooth, muscled and very nice. (The EXT daughter was a big female but not as muscled as this calf, and he definitely was wider than his mama--she wasn't bad, but he was very good.) The neighbors, former 4Hers who had raised livestock, said that he was the "oldstyle" (meaning that he was shorter in height and thicker), and she said she wanted a calf like him down the road.

I would fault him on height. He was probably a 4 frame (though we didn't measure him), and I would like to stay above a 5.5. He definitely had muscle and width compared to most of what I've ever had or seen.

I cannot say enough good about him. I would consider him to be one of the best bulls we've raised up to that point. He was quiet, easy to work with (though mom was a bit flighty), well muscled, correctly structured, good feet and legs, nothing I could say would be bad except he lacked height.

Actually, I have considered getting more semen from the Ballot bull's sons because of him. I have semen on two different Ballot bull's sons, and I've considered getting some on the other, more well known, Octoraro Ballot, only because I think this Ballot bull might be one to add to a herd because of his dam. The O B son has excellent longevity an staying power, and I would consider this a plus for using him. (I do think he might have even less FS if that concerns you.)

If you don't mind the lower frame score (and I know many on here don't), using the Ballot bull's sons would only add to your thickness and quality of animal--good feet and legs, width, and muscling and probably be excellent disposition and easy to work.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:45 am 
founding member

Foxx,
What weight range are you experiencing with the 5.5 frames?

I understand the # parameter of the frame.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 pm 
founding member

Preston: It depends a lot on the cow. I have one cow that stays around 1550-1650--an EXT daughter that is just over a 6 (her highest, as I recall, was 1950#). I have a 5.5 that is about 1500. I had a 6 that was about 1500 (though she went to market open a few months ago). I have a 7 frame that stays about 1600. I have another just under 6 frame that is about 1450. I have a 5.5-6 frame that is about 1500. I had a 4 frame that was 1300, but we sold her. (She sold for good money as some folks don't want the larger cows.)

Nearly all my cows are under six (I have two that are six, one that is 7 and one coming 12). So their FS is not quite up to what they finally will be. The other 25 or so are all under six with most being under four. I am trying to move my genetics forward, so keeping the younger ones is useful for me at this time.

However, the older ones have eliminated themselves. One died this year (disappointing). One came up open (also disappointing). One probably miscarried because of sickness. We sold a six and a four year old last spring. So pretty much all the older ones are gone except the one EXT (Bando 155 mgs) daughter.

As I wean calves, the older ones seem to not produce as well as the younger ones, so I eliminate them and keep the two, three and four year olds.

I don't quite understand why it is that the cows I purchased are all being eliminated and the ones I am breeding myself are staying with the better ratios, but it seems to work that way for me right now. I would hope in a few years, the older ones will be the producers, and I will struggle to keep the younger ones who are not as high ratio. It isn't that way now.

It is a bit disheartening to me because I would like to be raising calves from cows with longevity, but I guess pounds is more important. So I'm eliminating those cows that are in the bottom of the production for the herd. I kept one, but she was old and died. Her daughter isn't the highest producer in pounds (just average), but she sure produces a great looking calf every year, so she stays.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:57 pm 

Foxx wrote:
I don't quite understand why it is that the cows I purchased are all being eliminated and the ones I am breeding myself are staying with the better ratios, but it seems to work that way for me right now. I would hope in a few years, the older ones will be the producers, and I will struggle to keep the younger ones who are not as high ratio. It isn't that way now.

It is a bit disheartening to me because I would like to be raising calves from cows with longevity, but I guess pounds is more important. So I'm eliminating those cows that are in the bottom of the production for the herd. I kept one, but she was old and died. Her daughter isn't the highest producer in pounds (just average), but she sure produces a great looking calf every year, so she stays.

methylation. you can't select for longevity unless you select for it. you are accumulating adjustment to environment. don't knock it. select for longevity in the new ones. let your ratios plateau, otherwise what you are scared of will happen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:02 pm 
founding member

Thanks for the thoughts on that.

I will just keep selecting for the best ones, and I will keep longevity out of those. I actually have a fairly good base. Several of the cows that I have calves from have longevity in their parents or grandparents, so I think I should be on the right track.

I'll keep this in mind as I move forward.