5BarX.com

Knee-Deep In Cow Stuff
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:33 am 
Respected Commenter in the Community

I am looking for advice on re-flooring a stock trailer. It currently has pressure treated 2x8 southern pine. Is a thicker oak floor preferred? If so, what preservative should be used on the oak?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Name: Matt Henley
Town: Mount Gilead, NC
turnbull wrote:
I am looking for advice on re-flooring a stock trailer. It currently has pressure treated 2x8 southern pine. Is a thicker oak floor preferred? If so, what preservative should be used on the oak?

we put down rough cut oak 2x6 and slopped it with the thick roof tar in the corner and wherever else stuff cant run out very well.

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Old Chinese Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:40 pm 
regular here

We just finished repainting and reflooring the stock trailer this week. We used rough cut 2x6s (pine) that were pressure treated. Also put bull pen wire stapled to the top of the 2x6s to reduce slippage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:24 pm 
founding member

Name: John Fisher
Town: Onaga, Ks
When I got my Trailmann Trailer new in 97 , I used a broom and mopped used motor oil on the pressure treated wood floor one hot summer day.
Repeated it every year up till about 2004 ... then coated the floor with black tar ( found at Tractor Supply basically foundation waterprofing Tar )
Kind of regret the Tar. Still a littly sticky on a hot day, upsets the wife when shoes have a little tar on them and come into the house :o
If I would do it over with the new trailer ... hindsight is 20-20 of course ... I would go to Lowes and pick up some 3/4 inch thich , 4x8 sheets of Pressure treated CCA Plywood and cut them to size , and use stainless steel deck screws to secure to the Pressure treated floor. Changing the Plywood after many years would be simple compared to replacing the original floor.
At far as a nonslip , it's hard to beat a Horse panel ( 2 in x 4 in spacing ) secured to the floor ( available from Orscheln's Farm and Home) .